Are you fed up with spending hundreds of dollars every year on minor roof repairs for your business?
Are you worried that the infrastructure of your warehouse, office building, or apartment building is suffering due to lack of repairs and maintenance?
Hiring a reliable and trustworthy contractor for commercial roofing in Ann Arbor can be a daunting task, especially when you’re bidding out a large-scale job like a commercial building.
There are several things you should think about before hiring a contractor to do a large project for you.
At Wilderness Construction, we believe that you should feel relieved when you hire a company, not anxious! We want to give you the peace of mind that comes with hiring experienced and friendly professionals to work on your business.
Before you hire a contractor to do the work, make sure you go over the following checklist with the company to ensure they do the type of work you really need.
The roofing company you hire should check for:
- Visible damage and debris – obvious signs of damage include visible structural deformations, dirt and debris, standing water and blocked or broken gutters and downspouts.
- Exterior structural components – chimneys, vents, fascia, drip edges, and decking should be inspected for damage, missing components, rust and rot.
- Interior roofing components – Rafter and roof trusses should be checked for evidence of mold, mildew and rot, which could indicate extensive structural damage.
In addition to a checklist of requirements for your contractor, we also have a list of questions you should ask them. Remember, getting a new roof is a major investment, even more so when it’s being done for a business. Getting estimates is the easy part, but hiring a contractor who actually does what they say they’re going to do isn’t always easy.
Make sure you ask your contractor:
- For any references they have – Instead of asking for any references, ask them for the last three customers they had. That way, you’ll talk to people who have had work done recently, and not years ago.
- How long have they been in business? Longevity is a good indicator of quality and service. If the company has been in business for a long time, that indicates a strong customer base.
- For proof of insurance – Your contractor should carry liability insurance to protect you from unforeseen events that could occur during the project. When they submit a proposal on a bid, they should include a certificate of insurance.
- Manufacturer’s qualifications – Some manufacturers require special training and/or certification before they allow a contractor to install their products.
- Contractor warranty – If the company offers an additional warranty, find out how long the warranty is in effect and what it covers.
- If they have industry memberships and affiliations – If they belong to industry-specific trade associations, such as state and national roofing boards, or local businesses associations, this can signify the company’s commitment to their clients.
After you’ve gone through the checklists above, you can make a better, more informed decision about hiring a contractor for commercial roofing in Ann Arbor. At Wilderness Construction, Inc., we offer a variety of commercial services for your business. For more information or to get a quote, contact us today!